THE BARNT GREEN CHUGGERS (RUNNING)
& CHAINGANG (CYCLING) CLUB
The Club was formed in 2005 and provides running and cycling sessions for all abilities – including those just wanting to keep fit, in shape, as well as those wanting to go further and faster.
We do not provide coaching or focus on competition, as we are principally a social/recreational running and cycling club.
Advice and guidance is however provided by our experienced run and ride leaders, who have supported many over the years to improve their running and cycling.
We know that just running or cycling won’t keep you involved, so we pride ourselves on also having a vibrant social side to the club. This includes getting together in the club bar after club sessions, or at the many socials we organise.
The main Club nights are – Running, Mondays 8pm and Cycling, Wed 7.00pm. There are also additional weekday/weekend runs and rides. The local Worcestershire countryside provides some of the best running and riding around, and club sessions take full advantage of this.
CLUB RUNS & RIDES
These are arranged in speed/distance ability groups (ranging from slower and shorter runs in running and riding groups 1, through to further and faster in group 5 – so there should be something to suit most and enable you to run with others of similar ability. Each group is led by an experienced volunteer run/ride leader, who will help manage pace of each group and keep groups together. (we pride ourselves on setting out and returning together – why go on a club run or ride and end up on your own!!!)
Many of our runners and riders have gone on to take part in numerous organised runs and rides.
THINKING OF JOINING US?
If you are interested in running, please come along to one of the club sessions, where a run leader will be able to discuss joining arrangements and introduce you to a suitable group.
N.B for Chaingang Cycling, please don’t just turn up expecting to ride, as for safety reasons we like new members to do an Intro ride – as many have not ridden in a group before or are familiar with the way we organise our ride sessions. So please e-mail Mike in advance. For further information on all above or any other questions you may have please speak to a member of the Sports Club Team or e-mail Chuggers and Chaingang Membership Secretary Patch Kite.
CHUGGER & CHAINGANG MEMBERSHIP
This allows you to run and ride and a host of other benefits:
- Lead runs & rides
- Advice on your running and cycling
- Use of the BGSC changing facilities, bar
- Table Tennis and Social Facilities
- ‘Chugger/Chaingang’ social events, and of course,
- The Xmas Party and Awards Night
Chugger & Chaingang Membership is open to adults aged 18yrs and over.
1. Sports Club Membership – ‘Social Plus’ category – through completing the BGSC ‘New Member’ Form and making payment directly to the BGSC Bank Account or over the bar using a debit or credit card. There is also a one-off fee of £10 for your access swipe card. These monies go directly to the Sports Club and support its development.
2. Chuggers & Chaingang Subscription fee (£10) which is paid directly to the Chuggers bank account. This is specifically to support the development of Chugger & Chaingang activity. (NB – If you are a full Tennis, Squash or Badminton member of the BG Sports Club – you will only pay the Chuggers and Chaingang Subscription fee of £10)